Thursday, October 28, 2010

Seatlle sets standard for QSRs concerning Recylability and Composting

Seattle recently enacted an ordinance that requires all quick service restaurants to use either compostable or recyclable materials in their containers. While many quick service restaurants have already stopped using Styrofoam in their containers, this is the first time a city has required that all the materials be recyclable or compostable. This is interesting in that Seattle's law could set a precedent for other states and cities leading to a nationwide requirement of these particular materials in QSR's containers.

This story relates well with my groups project as we are looking into how Dutch bros. can embrace compostable materials in their drink containers. I think it is great that people are starting to look into this type of sustainability as it eliminates the need for filling landfills with huge amounts of containers. The only thing that I would question would be although sustainability is great, how much authority should the government have over these issues? If Seattle can pass laws like this, what else can they pass?

http://www.qsrweb.com/article/95136/The-future-of-compostable-packaging-for-QSRs

2 comments:

  1. Thats pretty cool, I'm surprised Portland hasn't done something like that yet (if they have, jokes on me I guess).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about this new requirement but I think it's a really cool step for the whole "go green" movement. It's great how Seattle may be influencing other major cities to do the same. I'm not sure if it's more expensive to do that or not, but either way, I feel like the benefits outweigh the negatives.

    ReplyDelete