Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dawn Dishwashing Detergent Saves Wildlife

I know we were supposed to seek out an article related to our proposal. But the reason I made my proposal, about helping under privileged girls dance by sponsoring them for a year, is because there really is not much out there that helps with this problem. However I did stumble upon this article that really intrigued me so I decided to go with it.

You may have seen the Dawn soap commercial on TV with a baby duck and otter getting cleaned because they got covered in oil. If you buy a bottle of Dawn soap they will donate a dollar to “save wildlife.” As the article explains, after an oil spill in California they had to clean all the animals affected by it but paint thinner and nail polish remover were not delicate enough to clean the animals with. A small group of people decided that they needed to find a better solution on how to clean the oil off the animals. Dawn soap mixed with water became the solution that they needed. The blue soap cuts through grease but is gentle enough to not hurt the animals in any way.

Dawn soap has embraced this idea of helping wildlife. Giving back has given their company a better image and because of it their sales will probably go up. It’s a win, win situation. I have even bought a bottle of their soap myself.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2010/06/15/ST2010061502171.html?sid=ST2010061502171

2 comments:

  1. I heard about this! I think it's great that they have found that dish washing soap is a safer way to clean the animals that had to undergo the oil spill's effects. I own dawn soap as well, and I'm glad to buy it because I know that ultimately, an animal will be helped. It feels good to contribute to a good cause. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me happy to know such a simple solution is out there to help wildlife that is affected by oil spills. Knowing that they have this product and are doing more to raise money to help wildlife in the future is really cool.

    ReplyDelete