Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Retailers Show School Spirit

This article discusses in detail the various efforts that stores are making beyond the traditional fundraising routes to give money to schools. Beyond Box Tops for Education and Campbell's soup labels, stores are turning to new and innovative ways to give back, such as the concept my group is focusing on, escrip. The concept is that every time the escrip card is presented and scanned at the checkout, a percentage of the total grocery bill is contributed to the customer's designated school or nonprofit organization.

I find this article helpful for my research on escrip because it shows what other retailers are doing to raise money for school and how they have been successful. I learned a lot from the article and it even made me think of new additions to our project, like the fact that escrip could be a competition among schools to see who can raise the most money through the program. I learned about the successful "Hy-Vee's Smiles for Education" program and the efforts that they make to advertise the program, another crucial aspect to our project.

Questions that I would consider after reading this article include: How does escrip stand apart from these other programs? How can escrip be publicized to parents/community members? What companies have specifically used the escrip program and how have they been successful?

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is a great cause and I know many other places do the same kind of thing. Like Bank of America has different cards that you can choose and they all go to different causes. I have one that goes towards the humane society and there are many others, such as, breast cancer, etc.

    ReplyDelete