Thursday, October 14, 2010

PGE tests biomass process for Boardman - Tyler Evans WR214 Biz Buzz #2

I have always thought negatively about those who dismissed environmentalism as a fad. Do not get me wrong, I am not a hardcore environmentalist, I do not use candles for power and I do not buy all my clothes from Good Will (none of them fit me anyway). At any rate I like to think realistically, not idiotically. To help keep myself up to date, and to meet a BACC requirement, i took GEO 300. This course was extremely interesting, if not a bit far reaching. In the end I felt that i knew a lot more about what options there were for people like me to make a difference.

It also made me aware of what humans as a whole NEED to do to continue living the lifestyles we have come accustomed to. One of those things is find a way to create sustainable sources of power for our societies. This article discusses one of the options companies are looking at, in this case Portland General Electric, to help answer that question. The article discusses PGE's consideration of converting one of their coal fired power plants to a biomass power plant. I believe that many more companies across the world need to be considering and INVESTING in technology like this to ensure a solid future for the generations to come.

Here is a link to the article, enjoy!

~Tyler Evans WR 214

http://www.sustainablebusinessoregon.com/articles/2010/09/pge_tests_biomass_process_for_boardman.html

2 comments:

  1. It would be fantastic if we could find an affordable, sustainable energy source. The problem is that we are not investing enough resources into solving this problem. I also took GEO 300 last year and it taught me a lot about sustainability. One thing I learned from Steve Cook is that if we don't find a way to achieve carbon neutrality soon, then our future is looking bleak. It would be huge if a giant utility provider, such as PGE, adopted bio mass production because it would offer concrete examples for other bystanders to jump on board. One day at a time right...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! Not only are they considering how to use a more sustainable source of fuel but they are also looking at reusing an existing plant. I like that they are looking to modify the existing plant instead of tearing it down and building up a whole new plant. It was also interesting to read about all the costs associated with the project. I'm sure PGE is also calculating the feasibility of something like this. Going green sure is expensive but then again, what big innovations aren't? It be great if PGE can lead the world in this area.

    ReplyDelete