Thursday, November 18, 2010

50 Best Magazines

This article from The Chicago Tribute not only names Real Simple Magazine as number 2 on their list of the top 50 best magazines, but they also explain a little bit about why magazines are so successful. Magazines are more than just writing, pictures and advertisements, they are something that grabs that readers attention and hearts and are worth buying. Although highly debated, the newspaper tries its best to present what they believe to be the best magazines in conveying the message they set out to tell.

For me, I found this article to be interesting because working in the magazine industry is something that I am really interested in. The magazine in particular that I really enjoy reading as well as could see myself working for is Real Simple Magazine. I enjoy the format and overall nature of the magazine as well as the ideas that they present in their monthly publications. I learned that magazines are not just about how well they can write stories and present images, but they are also about catching the readers attention and telling valuable stories or giving interesting information on topics that are relate-able and that people care to read about.

As a new media communications major, I enjoyed reading about the various magazines and what they are doing well to not only attract customers but also to inform readers on their particular theme/message. I hope that one day I can work for a magazine similar to Real Simple because they present their ideas in a such a logical fashion that makes the magazine both fun to read and informative, which definitely sets it apart from other magazines. One question that I have about this post is how were the 50 best magazines determined? Were readers polled or was it based on numbers/money at all?

1 comment:

  1. Maddie! I love magazines too, especially Cosmopolitan. I think magazines grab the reader's attention better for two reasons. The first is that there are tons of different magazines to choose from. A person who is interested in soccer will most likely choose to read a magazine about soccer. There is a targeted audience and when there is a specific topic, it makes for an easy attention-getter. Secondly, there aren't just stories about a specific topic, there is variation. Pictures, games, quizzes, fun facts, etc. The reader can't predict what's going to happen, hence, interested in seeing where the magazine will take him or her.

    ReplyDelete